Scott City Kansas
Scott City is located in Southwest Kansas, and is the seat of Scott County. On June 5, 1879 E.B. Titus an S.S. Dennis of Barton County, Kansas and A.M. Nixon of Iowa laid out a town in the center of Scott County and called it Nixon. By February 4, 1885 the town of Nixon had died down, but was being revived with the name of Scott (In 1913 the town's name was changed to Scott City). The town company of Scott was organized and incorporated September 11, 1885, and the first house was built that year. On February 17, 1887 James B. Johnson was elected the first mayor of Scott.
On January 1, 1886 Scott had a population of 700, and was rapidly growing. By 1937 Scott City had a population close to 1800. The first electric light and power plant was built in 1914. Later, due to the increasing population, the plant was sold to Inland Utilities company of Kansas City who rebuilt the plant.
Return to the Scott City Homepage